The best dang frosting you’ll ever have!
I love frosting, like really really love it. I can, have and will just eat straight spoonfuls given the opportunity. Plz don’t judge me, ok??? As a frosting lover I am extremely picky about good frosting vs shitty frosting (RE: the stuff that comes on those pre-made cakes you can buy at the grocery store). So when I set out to find a great frosting recipe for cakes and cupcakes I was disappointed that none of them were perfect. Hence the creation of this recipe; and boy is it good.
What You’ll Need
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Cream cheese (the blocks not the tub!)
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Milk (or just all heavy cream!)
- Vanilla extract
You’ll start with your blocks of cream cheese and sticks of butter. Both should be room temperature so you’ll want to take them out of the fridge a couple hours before you make the frosting. You can test the butter by pressing your finger into the stick, it should be semi-firm but still easy to indent. Add the cream cheese and butter into a bowl with a paddle mix and turn your mixer to medium high. Beat together for 2-3 minutes and scrape down the bowl as needed.
Next, add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk, heavy cream, salt, and vanilla. Start your mixer on LOW (emphasis on low) or else your powdered sugar and cocoa powder will go everywhere. I’m serious it truly goes everywhere. Once the ingredients have started to incorporate, bump your speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and give a little taste/texture test. Feel free to add more salt to balance out the sweetness, but juts a pinch at a time! It’s easier to add in than it is to take out! If the frosting is too thick add more liquid, and if it is too thin you can add more powdered sugar.
This recipe is so easy to make and requires no extra steps. No melting chocolate, no fuss! You’ll be done within minutes and eating it out of the bowl with a spoon (judge me now but trust me you will!).
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 oz full fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ cups cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp salt (or more if needed)
- Beat softened butter and cream cheese together on medium high speed until fully combined (about 2 minutes). Scrape down the bowl.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, heavy cream, and milk. Start mixer on low for 30 seconds. Bump speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, taste, and add more salt if needed.
- If frosting is too thick, add 1 tbsp milk. If frosting is too thin, add 1/4 cup powdered sugar.